Are you watching everyone else taking off while you are stuck? It doesn't feel so good does it?
Maybe there is fear and frustration mixed together? Part of you wanting to take the leap or move ahead, the other too scared or frightened to risk outside your comfort zone.
So what do I mean by play a bigger game, and step up? At some level I guess you already know, in your gut it makes sense to you.
I like to write from the heart, from what’s speaking to me, what may be personal or in my world, because I know in some way it must be happening for others too. We are all connected, however much we may want to deny idea intellectually, to stay independent and secure in our own worlds.
I’ve found in my experience that playing bigger, literally means that I have to become bigger in my thinking, in taking more risks, emotionally, practically, financially, relationally – you get the idea. It means being clear on what is vitally important to me, that is - not denying what is true for me, honouring it and trusting it despite others expectations (it’s not that I won’t consider others, but I endeavour to be true to myself, to stop denying and lying about who I am and what I really want).
It's about expansion, giving ourselves permission to be fully who we are. Not playing small, shrinking back - as being smaller than who we are, is not serving anyone, least of all ourselves.
How about you? Does that ring a bell I wonder? Maybe it feels a bit uncomfortable, if so, that’s a good thing, honest! It’s just telling you to pay attention, it’s important information for you to take a look at if you are ready to.
Timing is important, we need to be at a place where we can follow through, commit to ourselves, to what’s really true for us. That’s going to take guts, probably more than you think. The good thing is, that we don’t know what’s ahead, no one does, so we all feel the same feelings of uncertainty but just at different levels.
If I had known what it was going to take for me to start my business, I might have thought twice about it. But I didn’t know, I had ideas, but I didn’t really know. That’s not something you CAN get from a book, only experience can teach you that.
That’s called a leap of faith, which I think is part of playing a bigger game. So what do we need to do?
Primarily it’s about our thoughts and our feelings, and along with that comes the practical steps, strategies, and plans to support us. But if we don’t pay attention to our thinking and feelings the practical steps are either very hard work, we may self-sabotage, or even become addicted to a way of being e.g. workaholic, which doesn’t really serve us, we are not really happy, but stuck in a rut of safety with our lives working at some level. Our life though, is not vitally alive and fulfilling.
Here are some steps to get you thinking about playing a bigger game in your life, they are EASY, just to get you started:
- See the bigger picture - listen to all the messages, insights, that come your way – pay attention – start to be more aware of your thoughts and feelings, and information that that speaks to you in your gut, top dismissing them.
- Be willing to expand yourself and your life – stay open in your mind, body, and your intuition
- Decide to fully commit to the next stage of whatever is being presented – stay trusting
- Grasp opportunities which speak to you, even if they are a bit scary – be resourceful, the answers may not come to you as you expect
- Be willing to see things differently – embrace new ideas, even if you know a lot already
- Be generous and grateful – give where you can, always stay thankful, it’s easier sometimes to start with small things to create the habit.
- Persistence – keep going even when it feels impossible, there is a tipping point, believe it.
- Keep developing and learning – this helps with expertise and staying open
- Be courageous – do whatever you need to do even if your knees are knocking
- Take inspired action – take action daily, preferably something that gives you joy, the more joyful the better, if you can delegate the tasks you dislike do so, if not just decide that they are part of the next step to the things you do want. It may be not be what you like but it is a step towards what you do want. Keep taking action, don’t give up!
How about trying ONE step this week, consistently, e.g. start noticing opportunities you would normally dismiss and follow through. Let me know how you get on.
If this blog has given you some ideas you would like to explore further please get in contact with me, I'd love to help you play a bigger game in your life. More Parts to follow soon.